Winter is here, and it is time to fortify. Ultimate Megafort is here and it’s time to join your friends or form new alliances for an exciting after-hours, 21 and over, event celebrating forts, fun, food, and battle!
• Take your picture on the Iron Throne—on loan to us from the popular Game of Thrones pop-up bar! BYO dragon!
• Design and construct a cardboard fort then engage your opponents in a foam ball battle. Sign up onsite; first come, first served.
• Hear quick talks by the Smithsonian Institution's Dr. Alex Nagel, residential research associate, National Museum of Natural History on:
The Imperial Thrones of Iran: Treasures & Stories from the Middle East Experience the world of the golden and jewelry laden thrones of rulers from 19th and 20th century Persia. Learn about their whereabouts today, and discover thrones which inspired the 21st century Game of Thrones’ designers to create iconic arts such as the Iron Throne.
An Assyrian Throne Hall in Washington, D.C. in 1900 Learn about a reconstructed Throne of Xerxes and an entire building with a Throne Hall reconstructing the palace of an Assyrian King which captured the interest of audiences on New York Avenue in Washington, DC around 1900.
The Tallest Columns in the World: Persepolis and Beyond Where are the tallest stone columns in the world? How did they build them? Learn about the tallest still standing stone columns ever constructed, and travel in time to learn what the palaces at the fortress of Persepolis ("Throne of Jamshid") and elsewhere looked like some 2,500 years ago.
• Take a virtual expedition to explore the architecture and landscapes that inspired HBO’s Game of Thrones locations and sets.
• Design a banner to represent your house.
• Learn about the anatomy of arches and build a six-foot arch out of foam blocks.
• Enjoy medieval-themed food and drinks available for purchase.
$35 Members | $45 Non-members. Pre-registration required. Tickets include one drink. Ages 21 and over.
Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Registration is for event planning purposes only and does not guarantee a seat.
Online registration for Museum programs closes at midnight the day before the scheduled program.